Monthly Competition Rules 2013
Monthly club competitions are a great way to receive critique and feedback on your images from expert judges and photographic peers alike. In order to ensure that we can run the club nights as efficiently as possible, we would encourage you to adhere to the following guidelines when entering digital images, and/or prints on club nights.
COMPETITION FORMAT AND JUDGING GUIDELINES:
- There are normally two categories for the evening, a SET SUBJECT (as outlined in the club syllabus) and the OPEN section. Photographs of any subject can be entered in the Open section.
- Members can enter prints, and/or digital images. 35mm slides are no longer projected at Club meetings. They may, however, be scanned and presented as digital images.
- The awards that can be granted to a photograph are: ACCEPTANCE, HIGHLY COMMENDED or HONOURS. Photos that the judge does not believe meets an acceptable standard can be “passed” – that is not given any award.
- Members compete in one of three different Grades – NOVICE, ADVANCED AND SALON
- NOVICE members are generally beginners, and/or have limited photographic skills. The judge is generally lenient on these members. Some technical errors are tolerated, and criticism is generally positive. Images that the judge does not believe fit the criteria of the competition or do not meet an acceptable standard maybe “Passed” – that is not given an award.
- ADVANCED members have more experience, and generally a high standard of work is required. The judge is usually more critical.
- SALON members are the most experienced and skilled, and a high standard of work is expected. The photos are expected to be technically perfect, as well as of very high aesthetic quality.
- Competitions are open to financial members only.
- Prints must be submitted for display no later than 7.45 p.m. on the competition night.
- Both digital images and print thumbnails MUST be submitted via the website using the Members | Submit Competition Image function.
- There are three sections – NOVICE, ADVANCED and SALON. New members will compete in Novice unless an adjudicating committee rules otherwise. Members can apply to the Committee for regrading at any time and all gradings will be revised at the end of each year.
- You may enter a maximum of 2 images per evening. This can be made up of 1 Print and 1 Digital or 2 Prints or 2 Digitals. Maximum to be entered 2 images total.
- Please note that entries for the SET SUBJECT category will be awarded additional points as outlined below.
- Judges will, at their discretion, award ACCEPTANCES, HIGHLY COMMENDED, or HONOURS for each entry in each section. These qualify for the following points toward the AGGREGATE POINTS trophy at year-end. (This includes trophy competitions.)
- No image previously submitted to a club competition may be submitted again unless it was “Passed in” on the first submission. Images by the same author that differ only slightly from one another, or differ only by computer treatment (e.g. colour vs. monochrome) will be regarded for these terms and conditions as being the same image.
| ||OPEN||SET SUBJECT |
|Merit||4 ||6 |
Points are transferable if a member changes grade. In the event of a tie, the award goes to the member with the most honours for the year.
Digital Image Submission:
To register your prints please submit a thumbnail image no larger than 1920 wide and 1080 high pixels.
- Print thumbnails must be submitted via the website using the Members | Submit Competition Image function by midnight on the Saturday prior to the competition night.
- Images MUST be submitted in the following format: sRGB
- Submit your image using jpg file type
Image size shall be no wider than 1920 pixels and no higher than 1080 pixels
- •The name of the file is no longer important, the Image Title is what the judge will see and what is displayed on the competition night DO NOT include your name in the title. ‘No Title’ is accepted as the filename.
- No watermark to appear in the submitted image files.
- The dpi setting is not critical (typically defaults to 72 dpi (dots per inch) )
- Digitally produced or enhanced images are acceptable provided that they originate from a photograph taken by the author.
- Copies of other artwork are NOT permitted.
- Prints: may be of any size up to a maximum of 400mm by 500mm, provided they are mounted on firm card having a minimum size of 297mm by 210mm and a maximum size of 400mm by 500mm. Multiple images may be submitted as a single work provided that the images are all on the same mount and that this mount conforms to the minimum and maximum size requirements. Framed and/or glass covered prints will not be accepted.
- Prints must meet minimum size rules. “Snapshot” size prints would not normally be acceptable, except in the case of dye transfer type prints, which are permitted to be smaller.
- Prints may be B&W or colour, and either professionally or home processed.
Labelling Your Prints:
Prints must be clearly labelled with:
- The author’s name
- The grade you are competing in – i.e. Novice, Advanced or Salon
- The section you are entering in – i.e. Set Subject or Open
- A Title (optional)
Publishing Honours Images on the APS Website
APS wishes to post all winning images on its Website. The APS assumes that all photographers are prepared to allow their images to be shown on the APS Website. You may opt out of showing your images during the submission process.